Saturday, October 01, 2005

Launchcast

If you listen to music on the Internet at work or at home, I have this ho gai siao (good recommendation) for you.

Launch.com is already quite well known as a great place for watching music videos, but that's not what I'm going to talk about. Check out Launchcast - internet radio from the same site. I've tried quite a few others like Live365, or via Windows Media Player and Winamp, but nothing quite matches it.

Launchcast allows you to create your own customized station, which will play songs and genres that you like. How does it know? For every song, album, artist and genre, you can rate it according to your preference. You can choose the rating system to be either a simple 5 grades (never play again, it's ok, like it, love it, and can't get enough), or on a scale of 1-100.

This customizing thingy really works. If you rate frequently, more of the songs you dig will be played. Sometimes when there's a song I really like that hasn't been played, I'll search for it on the website and give it a maximum rating. Sure enough, next time I'll hear it on my station. The system will also play songs unrated but related to what you like. For every song played, there's an explanation on why it's selected. I've been tuning in and customizing my station while at work for over a year now. I've made nearly 900 ratings, which sets me as a Trendsetter, haha. When I reach 1000, I'll become a Fanatic. Woohoo!

Besides having your own station, there's also a very good selection of programmed stations based on themes and genres. Sometimes when I want more variety, I tune in to stations like Today's Big Hits, 1990s Rock, New Releases, Love Songs, or Lite Office Music. There is a host more I've not heard; I tend to stick to the same stations. :p

There are three ways you can tune in. First and most basic of all is via Internet Explorer (no link required). Secondly, if you use Yahoo messenger, you can tune in from there also. The last method I know is via the new Yahoo Music Engine, which is an iTunes-like player that lets you do things like rip music, listen to samples, purchase online and all.

My main gripe about Launchcast is that it doesn't support Netscape(=Firefox). In addition, there'll be commercials every few songs (some are actually quite funny, heheh). I've actually tried subscribing to Launchcast Plus, their paid service with even more programmed stations and no commercials. But too bad, it is not supported outside the US. Then again, Launchcast is good enough for me. In fact, I like it so much I wrote such a long post to tell everyone!

By the way, since Yahoo has bought over Launch (as you would've noticed by now), you'll need a Yahoo account to use Launchcast. Check it out. Oh gai siao, sure not bad! :D

8 Comments:

Blogger chiakhong said...

Just read this, and just checked it out. OMFG, its SOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOL.

Thanks man! Hao gai sio!

Sunday, October 02, 2005 2:49:00 AM  
Blogger chiakhong said...

Question - lets say I select 2 genres I like say jazz and rock -- does that mean I will be listening to a jazzy piece one moment, and suddenly the next song may be a rock song?

I.e. is there a way to have different stations, or must I subscribe to LaunchCast Plus?

If need to, guess may want to set up another Yahoo account to customise another station!

Sunday, October 02, 2005 2:53:00 AM  
Blogger chiakhong said...

And BTW, do you mind if I link your blog to mine?

This is too cool, must share. =)

Sunday, October 02, 2005 3:04:00 AM  
Blogger chiakhong said...

And BTW, do you mind if I link your blog to mine?

This is too cool, must share. =)

Sunday, October 02, 2005 3:04:00 AM  
Blogger Oh said...

of cse you can! i've rated a few genres for my station, they'll play all.. but i discovered its better to rate songs/artists than genres, cos their definition of genres is very broad/inaccurate.

eh... like i've said.. you CANT subscribe to Plus..

hey nx time we can exchange our stations :D

and of cse can link lah.. i've always linked urs wat... keke

Sunday, October 02, 2005 7:49:00 PM  
Blogger chiakhong said...

Sorry ah, I bit slow one, you said" "i've rated a few genres for my station, they'll play all.."

Does that mean you listen to one jazz song, and the next may be a rock song?

Which I donch want!

Is there a way to choose it such that, when I feel like jazz, I set to my pre-determined jazz station, and when I feel like rock, I set to my pre-determined rock station?

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 11:19:00 PM  
Blogger Oh said...

Yup, tat's wat i mean, that they'll mixed your jazz and rock up.

Ah... i think they have this thing called moods, but only avail on Plus...

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 11:33:00 PM  
Blogger chiakhong said...

Darn, it could almost have been perfect...

Jialat liao, still cannot sleep, tomorrow wake up 5am for work, steam for sure...

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 12:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home