Wednesday, August 23, 2006

a harmless joke

Sometimes when you try to be funny, you end up with the joke being on you.
And it's not just all fun and games. I give you an example. You put out a funny podcast, you talk about bak chor mee [laughter]. I will say mee siam mai harm. Then we compete. Then what will I do? I will hire Jack Neo to be my National Day Rally adviser [laughter].
-- PM Lee
I don't know which hawker centre our PM has been visiting, but I've never seen mee siam with harm (cockles)! Nor did everyone else who's been chastening and mocking our poor PM for saying that. Some even accused him of being disconnected with the people.

For the record, his press secretary has since clarified that he meant to say laksa mai harm. Aiyo, our poor PM. He can't even tell the difference between mee siam and laksa, ha!

3 Comments:

Blogger Huichieh said...

For the record, his press secretary has since clarified that he meant to say laksa mai harm. Aiyo, our poor PM. He can't even tell the difference between mee siam and laksa, ha!

That's interesting... On the other hand, laksa mai hiam actually makes sense because many hawkers sell the dish with the option of additional sambal for those who want it (I tend to prefer mine without, but that's just me).

Do you have a link or source to the what press secretary said? Thank you in advance.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 1:08:00 PM  
Blogger Oh said...

I don't know what exactly the press secretary said, but in the ST today (23 Aug) there's the full speech. Next to the "mee siam mai harm", it's mentioned briefly in parentheses what the press secretary clarified.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 1:22:00 PM  
Blogger Cobalt Paladin said...

Haha! I didn't chasten lah. I was really just wondering. :)

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 2:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home